Hello

Please take a moment and introduce yourself to the Dave Frank School of Jazz community
Ted

Hello

Post by Ted » Sun May 08, 2016 7:24 am

I am sixty-eight years old, and have a lifelong obsession with creating and playing piano music. In earlier years I amassed a large heap of written compositions, but for the last decade, and especially since retiring, my preferred medium is recorded improvisation. Although I was tutored in classical and jazz when young, my own music these days doesn't really fit either genre. Musically, my taste is very eclectic, and I keep myself open to all influences, with a view to absorbing them into my own processes and learning from them. Thus I have found much of the content of Dave's videos, although primarily for jazz pianists, actually has a far wider range of application.

jeffn1
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Hello

Post by jeffn1 » Wed May 11, 2016 11:52 am

Hello, Ted!

Jeff

AgentX
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AgentX » Thu May 12, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi Ted,

I think the piano, and indeed any other instrument, is a lifelong obsession. I too started young with classical tuition and played off and on for years until my late 30's when I decided to really learn to play. That is when I discovered Dave and jazz and realised that the road is long and never actually ends :D

Don't forget the showcase thread if you feel brave enough to share any of your work.

Have fun!

Ted

Post by Ted » Thu May 12, 2016 8:36 pm

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I shall probably post links to one or two recordings sooner or later. However, as my music is not jazz, properly so called, I had better do so with discretion. The regrettably persistent, and I believe damaging split between classical and jazz is always a problem for me on music forums as I am neither one thing nor the other and end up in limbo. In my experience though, I have found jazz pianists much broader minded toward classical than the classical brigade are toward jazz. A good jazz pianist is much more likely to play classical well and enjoy it than the other way around. Exactly why this should be the case is still a mystery.

Dave
Piano Monster
Piano Monster

Post by Dave » Tue May 17, 2016 12:13 pm

Because we jazz fanatics love LEARNING. There is much to learn in studying the classics..