The best thing for you is me

All threads related to specific standards or other songs.
Katalin
Contributor
Contributor

The best thing for you is me

Post by Katalin » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:12 pm

Not many people seem to know this tune, but it is an interesting one by Irving Berlin and with really great lyrics.
I am playing it in F major because it's the best thing for me, I mean key for my voice. In this key the first chord of the tune is E7 and the first phrase to sing in each A section is an E7 arpeggio. I would like to insert a chord(s) in the turn arounds that will help me to start singing from the E note.
When I get to the first turn around at the end of the A section it is / Am7 / D7 / and now I have to pitch an E note again for the start of the melody in the next A section. I found that an Eb dim with an A on top, on the last beat / Am7 / D7 Ebdim/ helps me to enter on the E7. Is Ebdim the best passing chord in the circumstances? here it seems to be the A on top that helps to get into E7.

The melody of the bridge is in Ab, last 2 bars are /Gm7 / C7 / my last note is a C, and again I need a passing chord(s) to come out of this Ab feeling and help me to feel and sing the E7 arpeggio on the last A section. Just inserting the Ebdim again on it's own on the last beat did not feel quite right in this instance. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

mdmellis
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: The best thing for you is me

Post by mdmellis » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:26 am

Nice tune. It's basically a series of II-V's descending by whole step. I usually play the first two measure as a II-V as well or |Bm7 |E7 | in the key of F. The problem is that doesn't make that first note any easier to find because the E is the 11th of Bm7. As for the 1st ending (or last 2 bars of the first A section), I think that is generally a III-VI-II-V (or in F: Am7 D7b9 |Gm7 C7 |). To find the note going into the next A section: 1) Remember the note from beat 4 of bar 6--It is the same. 2) Hear the third of the V7 chord-C7 or 3) add a passing chord as you are doing with the Ebdim. You might also try a descending dominant from C7 to B7 which would lead nicely to the E7 in bar one. This same descending 1/2 step (C7-B7-E7) can work for the transition from the bridge too. Good luck. ;)
-Mark

Katalin
Contributor
Contributor

Re: The best thing for you is me

Post by Katalin » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:22 am

Thank you so much. I could think of the 3rd of the C to help me but the descending dominant C7 to B7 is a great suggestion, just gets me where I'm going with the E7 without having to think about it.
Also the III-VI-II-V for the first ending sounds much better then what I had on the lead sheet of just / Am7 / D7 /.
For the first 2 bars of the tune I'll keep the E7 when I'm singing for now, but will play / Bm7 / E7 / (sounds good) for solos.
Also thanks for pointing out that the tune's harmony descends by whole step.
Descending dominants will be on my mind from now on